Resources | Health News | Therapies | Fitness
Choosing an Air Purifier for a Room or Your Home
- The need for routine maintenance, including cleaning and replacement of filters and sorbents.
- The estimated capital and maintenance cost.
- The installation requirements (e.g., power, access).
- The manufacturer's recommended operating procedures.
- The possible production or redispersal of pollutants, such as ozone, particles, formaldehyde, and trapped gaseous pollutants.
- The inability of air cleaners designed for particle removal to control gases and some odors, such as those from tobacco smoke.
- Possible health effects from charged particles produced by ion generators.
- Possible soiling of surfaces by charged particles produced by ion generators.
- The noise level at the air flow rates that will be used.
- Some results indicate that even without significant background ozone, devices being marketed as negative ion generators that purify the air, can potentially elevate exposure to ozone levels greater than the health-based air quality standards for outdoor air.
source: J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol. 1999 Nov-Dec;9(6):594-601. Ozone emissions from a "personal air purifier". Phillips TJ, Bloudoff DP, Jenkins PL, Stroud KR. Most certified indoor environmentalists agree that a H.E.P.A.* filtration system is the best possible system. This is due to the fact that they address all indoor air pollution issues and effectively get rid of most of all airborne threats. *H.E.P.A. stands for high-efficiency particulate air or high-efficiency particulate arresting.
This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use this material to diagnose or treat a health condition or disease without consulting with your healthcare provider.
Click above for Service Agreement and Contact Information. Accessing this service binds you to terms stated. Advertisements appear throughout this website as a means of funding the site. This site is updated monthly and operates independently of any health associations or organizations. The owner of this site has no medical training and the information presented comes from government resources and health professionals in their respected fields.
Home Page: Personal Health Zone
|We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.|