Resources | Health News | Therapies | Fitness
Carbamazepine - Interactions and Warnings
- Seizure 2002 Oct;11(7):464 -- Interaction of topiramate with carbamazepine: two case reports and a review of clinical experience. -- Mack C, Kuc S, Mulcrone S, Pilley A, Grunewald R.
Fluconazole is a known inhibitor of the cytochrome P450 enzyme system, this suggests an inhibition of carbamazepine metabolism.
- South Med J 2002 Sep;95(9):1099-100 -- Fluconazole-carbamazepine interaction. -- Finch CK, Green CA, Self TH.
These findings are interpreted as an inhibition of intestinal folic acid absorption caused by the antiepileptic therapy.
- Acta Neurol Scand 1984 Apr;69(4):226-31 -- The effects of carbamazepine and valproate on folate metabolism in man.
Findings show that all anticonvulsant drugs interfere with folate metabolism.
- Q J Med 1987 Nov;65(247):911-9 -- A comparative study of the relative effects of anticonvulsant drugs and dietary folate on the red cell folate status of patients with epilepsy. -- Goggin T, Gough H, Bissessar A, Crowley M, Baker M, Callaghan N.
Vitamin K deficiency may occur in pregnant women and the child after birth for women taking hepatic enzyme-inducing anti-epileptic drugs.
- Curr Treat Options Neurol 2002 Jan;4(1):31-40 -- Epilepsy in Pregnant Women. -- Bruno MK, Harden CL.
Carbamazepine is likely to interact with hormones.
- Epilepsia 1991;32 Suppl 6:S60-7 -- Effects of antiepileptic drugs on hormones. -- Ramsay RE, Slater JD.
Less well recognized is the possibility that influenza vaccination may significantly increase carbamazepine blood levels. Our experience suggests that carbamazepine toxicity can result from influenza vaccination.
- Pediatr Neurol 2002 Jan;26(1):61-3 -- Carbamazepine toxicity after influenza vaccination. -- Robertson WC Jr.
Concurrent ingestion of the herbal tea prepared from Cassia auriculata flowers with carbamazepine may influence the bioavailability of the drug and hence its therapeutic potential.
- Drug Metabol Drug Interact. 2003;19(3):177-87. -- Possible interaction of herbal tea and carbamazepine. -- Thabrew MI, Munasinghe TM, Chackrewarthi S, Senarath S. rent changes in toxicity.