Resources | Health News | Therapies | Fitness
Heparin - Interactions and Warnings
- Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1993 Nov;72(8):674-5 -- Osteopenia caused by heparin treatment in pregnancy. -- Haram K, Hervig T, Thordarson H, Aksnes L.
Heparin adversely affected bone density in about one third of exposed patients.
- Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994 Mar;170(3):862-9 -- A prospective study of heparin-induced osteoporosis in pregnancy using bone densitometry. -- Barbour LA, Kick SD, Steiner JF, LoVerde ME, Heddleston LN, Lear JL, Baron AE, Barton PL.
Vitamin C may interact adversely with heparin.
- Mayo Clin Proc 1970 Feb;45(2):140-5 -- Heparin-ascorbic acid antagonism. -- Owen CA Jr, Tyce GM, Flock EV, McCall JT.
Several cases have been reported of patients with severe hemorrhages caused by low-molecular-weight heparins (LMWH).
- Rev Clin Esp 2002 Nov;202(11):583-7 -- Hemorrhages among patients treated with low-molecular-weight heparins -- Article in Spanish -- Vallano Ferraz A, Pedros Cholvi C, Montane Esteva E, Bejarano Romero F, Lopez Andres A, Cereza Garcia G, Arnau De Bolos JM.
Administration of low-molecular-weight heparins such as enoxaparin is increasing, and clinicians must be aware of the potential for adverse drug events such as hypersensitivity reactions.
- Pharmacotherapy 2002 Nov;22(11):1511-5 -- Anaphylactoid reaction to enoxaparin in a patient with deep venous thrombosis. -- MacLaughlin EJ, Fitzpatrick KT, Sbar E, Jewell C. Consult with your physician before using herbs or herbal products - especially those which may have a blood thinning effect.