What is Hectorol used for? Hectorol is used to lower high
parathyroid hormone (iPTH) levels in patients undergoing chronic kidney dialysis.
should not be treated with Hectorol?
- People with a high level of calcium in the blood.
- People with signs of extremely high levels of vitamin D.
Special Warnings with Hectorol:
- Periodic monitoring of your condition by your doctor is important while being
treated with Hectorol.
- Because Hectorol affects the absorption of calcium be the body, it is important
for you and your doctor to be aware of the early symptoms of too much calcium in your
blood, including weakness, headache, excessive sleepiness, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth,
constipation, muscle pain, bone pain and metal taste in your mouth. If you have these
symptoms, contact your doctor right away. Later symptoms include frequent need to urinate,
loss of appetite, weight loss, pink eye, sensitivity to sunlight, nasal discharge, skin
itching, and fever.
General Precautions with Hectorol:
- Do not take Hectorol with magnesium containing antacids, because these may cause
too much magnesium to build up in your body.
- Do not take Hectorol with mineral oil or cholesterol-lowering drugs containing
cholestyramine, because these may reduce the amount of Hectorol absorbed by your body.
What should I tell my doctor or health care provider?
Because certain other medications can interact with Hectorol, review all
medications that you are taking with your health care provider, including those that you
take without a prescription.
Tell your health care provider if you are trying to become pregnant, are already
pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
What are some possible side effects of Hectorol? (This is NOT
a complete list of side effects reported with Hectorol. Your health care provider can
discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
Side effects of Hectorol are, in general, similar to those of high blood calcium
associated with too much vitamin D intake. Some side effects are:
- Generally not feeling well
- Shortness of breath
- Joint pain
- Weight gain
For more detailed information about Hectorol, ask your health care provider.