What is Iressa used for?
Who should not take Iressa?
Do not take Iressa if you are allergic to Iressa or to any of the ingredients in
- Iressa is a chemotherapy medicine (medicines used to kill cancer cells) that is used alone for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that:
- has progressed after treatment with platinum based or docetaxel chemotherapies, or
- did not respond to treatment with platinum based or docetaxel chemotherapies.
- At this time, it is not known whether Iressa will improve symptoms of NSCLC or help patients live longer.
- Iressa should not be the first chemotherapy medicine that is used to treat NSCLC. Iressa did not show any benefit when used with doublet, platinum-based chemotherapy to treat NSCLC.
Special Warnings with Iressa:
- Iressa may cause interstitial lung disease (ILD). ILD is a serious and life-threatening lung disease. The symptoms of ILD are trouble breathing, with or without a cough or fever. ILD may become severe in a very short period of time.
- Iressa may cause liver damage called hepatotoxicity.
- Iressa may cause eye damage called corneal erosions.
Call your health care provider right away if you develop:
- severe or continual diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite. These conditions can lead to dehydration (lack of body fluids).
- worsening lung symptoms (shortness of breath, cough, fever).
- an eye irritation.
- any new symptoms.
What should I tell my doctor or health care provider before using
Tell your health care provider if you:
Tell your health care provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your health care provider if you take:
- have or had liver problems.
- are trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
These medicines may affect how Iressa works, or Iressa may affect how these medicines work.
- rifampicin, phenytoin
- ketoconazole, itraconazole
- ranitidine, cimetidine
What are some possible side effects of Iressa? (This is NOT
a complete list of side effects reported with Iressa. Your health care provider
or pharmacist can
discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
Some common side effects with Iressa include:
- Dry skin
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
For more detailed information about Iressa, ask your health care provider
http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2003/21399_iressa_lbl.pdf Iressa's Approved