Resources | Health News | Therapies | Fitness
Bavarian Beef Recipe
1 1/4 lb lean beef stew meat, trimmed of
fat, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 C water
3/4 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1/4 C white vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 small head red cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
1/4 C gingersnaps, crushed
1. Brown meat in oil in heavy skillet. Remove meat and saut� onion in remaining oil until golden. Return meat to skillet. Add water, caraway seeds, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 11/4 hours.
2. Add vinegar and sugar, and stir. Place cabbage on top of meat. Cover and simmer for an added 45 minutes.
3. Remove meat and cabbage, arrange on platter, and keep warm.
4. Strain drippings from skillet and skim off fat. Add enough water to drippings to yield 1 cup of liquid.
5. Return to skillet with crushed gingersnaps. Cook and stir until thickened and mixture boils. Pour over meat and vegetables, and serve.
Yield: 5 servings
Serving size: 5 oz
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 7 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 323 mg
Total fiber: 2 g
Protein: 24 g
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Potassium: 509 mg
Please feel free to modify these recipes for any dietary needs or special diets.
Recipes || Desserts || Entrees || Salads || Soups || Vegetarian
This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use this material to diagnose or treat a health condition or disease without consulting with your healthcare provider.
Click above for Service Agreement and Contact Information. Accessing this service binds you to terms stated. Advertisements appear throughout this website as a means of funding the site. This site is updated monthly and operates independently of any health associations or organizations. The owner of this site has no medical training and the information presented comes from government resources and health professionals in their respected fields.
Home Page: Personal Health Zone
| We comply with the HONcode standard for
trustworthy health information:|