Resources | Health News | Therapies | Fitness
Yucca Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings
- Influence of phenolic constituents from Yucca schidigera bark on arachidonate metabolism in vitro. -- Wenzig EM, Oleszek W, Stochmal A, Kunert O, Bauer R. -- J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Oct 8;56(19):8885-90. Epub 2008 Sep 9.
The effects of dietary supplementation were found to significantly increase serum insulin levels in the absence of any fluctuations in serum glucose levels in some of the groups in this study.
- Effects of dietary supplementation with Yucca schidigera Roezl ex Ortgies and its saponin and non-saponin fractions on rat metabolism. - Duffy CF, Killeen GF, Connolly CD, Power RF. - J Agric Food Chem. 2001 Jul;49(7):3408-13.
Yucca contains steroid-like saponins, which produce anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-spasmodic effects.
- Some commonly fed herbs and other functional foods in equine nutrition: a review. -- Williams CA, Lamprecht ED. Vet J. -- 2008 Oct;178(1):21-31. Epub 2007 Aug 8.
Yucca is shown to have hypoglycemic, hypocholesterolemic, and antioxidant effects in this study.
- J Diabetes Complications. 2008 Sep-Oct;22(5):348-56. -- The effects of Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria on DNA damage, protein oxidation, lipid peroxidation, and some biochemical parameters in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. -- Fidan AF, DŁndar Y.
This study was undertaken to observe the effects of the blend of partially purified Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria extracts on cholesterol levels in the human's blood and gastrointestinal functions, and to determine if a new cholesterol-lowering drug can be developed by the further purification of the extracts. They found decreases in total and LDL cholesterol levels in blood plasma of hyper-cholesterolemic patients with enhancement in gastrointestinal symptoms of patients.
- Arch Pharm Res. 2003 Dec;26(12):1042-6. -- Hypocholesterolemic property of Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria extracts in human body. -- Kim SW, Park SK, Kang SI, Kang HC, Oh HJ, Bae CY, Bae DH. .
This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use this material to diagnose or treat a health condition or disease without consulting with your healthcare provider.
Click above for Service Agreement and Contact Information. Accessing this service binds you to terms stated. Advertisements appear throughout this website as a means of funding the site. This site is updated monthly and operates independently of any health associations or organizations. The owner of this site has no medical training and the information presented comes from government resources and health professionals in their respected fields.
Home Page: Personal Health Zone
|We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.|